Sunday, September 19, 2010

Guilt. Who Needs It?

I was in class this week and we were discussing the guilt that many parents feel. Guilt, that we don't spend enough time with our kids. Guilt, that we aren't doing the right thing or guilt from doing it wrong. I have tried my best to escape the feelings of guilt. It serves no positive purpose. As we had our discussion, I was sharing how I managed to avoid some guilt. I do this by watching my "deliverables". What am I capable of giving? What am I willing to give? What are my limitations? And here's what I discovered. The space between what you can do and what you think you should do... is called guilt.
Some may argue that guilt is a motivator. I think guilt is the thing that keeps us trapped in a vicious cycle of desire, effort and failure because of feelings that no matter what we do, its never enough. But it is enough.If we find self-acceptance that what we offer is always enough and to be at peace with those things we can't do, we eliminate guilt.
Who needs it anyway? ;) Remember, No Perfect Parents Allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment